Source:National Institute of Urban Affairs, New Delhi, India (2016)
The Swachh Bharat Mission Exposure Workshop is an initiative taken by National Institute of Urban Affairs (NIUA) with the support and guidance of Ministry of Urban Development (MoUD), to do capacity building of different ULBs in India and build their understanding about solid waste management.
Under this training cum exposure workshop project, Municipal officials from different states and UTs were invited for a four day workshop where they were exposed to innovative ideas related to solid waste management and were imparted practical knowledge on various technologies by taking them on an exposure visit to different waste management plants and activity centres in Delhi NCR. This project was carried out in 12 different batches over the course of six months with each batch having about 20 participants with an average of 2-3 senior officials from one ULB.
The main objectives of the workshop were:
- To recognize the issues, challenges and constraints of SWM
- To understand the SWM Rules 2016
- To be aware of the various approaches, technologies and their financial implications
- To plan to implement solutions in their city
- To achieve capacity building of ULB staff for implementing the plans