A snapshot of carsharing in emerging markets in 2015: where it is, where it has come from, and where it's going.
Carsharing grew from 6 carsharing operators (CSOs) in emerging economies in 2012 to 41 by mid-2015. Research from WRI Ross Center for Sustainable Cities tracks rapid expansion of carsharing and explores five key questions:
- What is the current status of the industry in emerging markets?
- What are the main barriers to and opportunities for implementation?
- What are the potential markets?
- How should carsharing systems be designed in these markets?
- What might be the societal and environmental impacts? Our research finds that has the potential to “leapfrog” car ownership in many cities. However, for carsharing to contribute to sustainable urban mobility, cities and governments will need to overcome several key obstacles.