This manual contains information pertaining to the following key components of a comprehensive septage management program:
- Septic Tank Design and Construction. Regulatory oversight and considerations for the design, installation and use of septic tanks including a model ordinance template.
- Procedures for Septic Tank Pumping and Septage Transportation. Best practices for transporting the septage once it is removed from the tank.
- Recordkeeping and Reporting. Mechanisms such as manifests, receipts, and other records.
- Septage Treatment and Disposal. Rules that prescribe the septage treatment and disposal requirements.
- Full Cost Recovery. Mechanisms that provide for full cost recovery of infrastructure, staff, and operational expenses for the program.
- Social Marketing. Selling the concept of improving sanitation to the people.
Additionally, this document includes a series of sample forms and a model septage ordinance that can be used by local governments as templates for crafting and customizing their own septage management programs.